illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Data requests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
fluffy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 00:28
whatever really, excel is quite good at doing all that stuff, least from what i've seen/done :P
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HonoredMule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 02:12
I prefer xml.  If it's not going to be easy for a human to read or even meant for human consumption, it might as well at least be easy for a human to programmatically parse.  Also, every mature language has a well-optimized xml parser whose performance (and accuracy in the face of diverse data and character sets) cannot easily be matched with RegEx or hacky scripts.  For that matter, every mature language has equally useful tools for generating XML, so why not play to everyone's strengths?

Gzipped xml would be nice also, saving everyone *much* bandwidth (text is highly compressible).

Also, I've been trying to keep a record of the data released so far for historical records' sake, but I missed the weekend 20th and 21st datafile_towns.xml.  Does anyone else have a copy of the snapshot from those days?  Have the GM's Heart kept any records perhaps?

Edited by HonoredMule - 24 Mar 2010 at 02:36
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 03:24
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

I prefer xml.  If it's not going to be easy for a human to read or even meant for human consumption, it might as well at least be easy for a human to programmatically parse.  Also, every mature language has a well-optimized xml parser whose performance (and accuracy in the face of diverse data and character sets) cannot easily be matched with RegEx or hacky scripts.  For that matter, every mature language has equally useful tools for generating XML, so why not play to everyone's strengths?

Gzipped xml would be nice also, saving everyone *much* bandwidth (text is highly compressible).

Also, I've been trying to keep a record of the data released so far for historical records' sake, but I missed the weekend 20th and 21st datafile_towns.xml.  Does anyone else have a copy of the snapshot from those days?  Have the GM's Heart kept any records perhaps? 

Fair point. And honestly it can't possibly effect the file size by an immense amount. No need to re-invent the wheel.

XML gets the job done, as HonoredMule mentions its probably going to save a lot of time not having to hack together some method of parsing the datafile.
cryptilia View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryptilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 23:52
As for the data format: (zipped) XML would be most usable I think. Even more, if it does not contain tons of namespaces ;) (namespaces make XPath queries more complicated)

As for the content, I would love to be able to lay my fingers on:
1. The construction tree (static data), including build times, cost and production rates and dependencies of builds.

2. What is found under options->Military Units

3. The coordinates of players in the game and their names and town names. (allows to compute a tiny overview map, giving a better idea, which buddy lives where).

Apart of that, I would like to point out that dynamic data and real time (also delayed data) can be dangerous and open gates to a lot of issues.

Example: Someone has a "logger" and someone sends thieves to a village, which was going without identifying the attacker. Then, the logger-person could reveal who it was and thus invalidate the whole idea of the current game implementation.

Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 15:52
Originally posted by cryptilia cryptilia wrote:

3. The coordinates of players in the game and their names and town names. (allows to compute a tiny overview map, giving a better idea, which buddy lives where). 

Miksu View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miksu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 16:07
With all this new nice things with factions and bioms, are we going to get some data on that?

1) It would be nice to have a data file (XML) with faction information. Coordinates, standings, name, etc.

2) Putting all the bioms on XML is too much, but it would be nice to have coordinates of the most important ones. For example coordinates on river tiles would be nice to have on an exported XML.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 23:12
Originally posted by Miksu Miksu wrote:

With all this new nice things with factions and bioms, are we going to get some data on that?

1) It would be nice to have a data file (XML) with faction information. Coordinates, standings, name, etc.

2) Putting all the bioms on XML is too much, but it would be nice to have coordinates of the most important ones. For example coordinates on river tiles would be nice to have on an exported XML.

We like the faction XML idea, and will try and put something in place soonish.

There's quite a lot going on with handling data via XML internally at the moment (what with the new UI getting closer to completion) so much of our new dev work has actually already shifted to XML (for example, faction data is passed to the front end in XML format already, so opening it up to a datafile will be relatively easy).

Regarding biome and region data, we agree this is too much to hand over in XML - even zipped up files will be huge for the 4M+ rows in the current world map.

We're also not 100% sure we want to hand over complete map data at the moment - this is something that could give huge advantages to the tech-savvy player, especially once we introduce pathfinding and visibility/Fog of War issues; and we need to work these issues out internally before we go too far down any one route.

v2 UI enhancements (an MVC/.NET/AJAX-y thing) bring in an amazing variety of extra information onto the world map - eg. heat/contour map overlays for volume traded, sovereignty, global population, casualties in the last 24hrs etc etc etc - and we'd like to share much of this information via data feeds.

We have different choices about how to share this data. 

Much of it will be stored (at our end) via MS proprietary datatypes (such as the MSSQL 2008 Geometry datatype, which stores polygonal information very efficiently). 

We do understand that these datatypes might not be easily sharable or interpreted at your end, as they're MS properties and not necessarily easily translatable into third party DB applications.

So, assuming that this isn't a good way of sharing data (universally), we might look at some flat file downloads on a 24hr basis, which might be limited datasets via XML or full(ish) datasets via flatfiles.

Best,

SC

PS. On a bynote, if you're not a fan of MS generally (which I've never really been in my past) I have to say that the stuff they brought in with 2005 - esp the XML datatype and CTEs (oh god, CTEs.. pure genius) and again with 2008 - the HeirarchyID, Geometry and Geographic datatypes plus UDTs and TVPs - makes MSSQL 2008 an *absolute* no-brainer for anyone doing almost anything potentially complex, recursive or cycle/IO-expensive with a DB. 

Seriously, as a generally "anti-MS-pro-openoffice.org-Edward-Tufte-Evils-of-Powerpoint" believer, I've gone from generally hating MS to being one of their cheerleaders: almost entirely on the basis of SQL 2005/8, which , to my mind, is programmatic 'shock and awe'.
Noryasha Grunk View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noryasha Grunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 05:40
I would like request the data for the tile numbers of the entire map.

Gonna build local maps for people - maybe completely useless once UI v2 comes out, but I think I can do other fun stuff with the data too.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HonoredMule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 17:47
Even just information like coordinate region and feature names would allow HarmlessButler to meaningfully organize player cities by location and categorize cities/players/alliances by region.  The more fluid the world becomes, the more useful such semantic relationships become to navigation and city management.
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 08:46
Don't know if this is the right forum but there isn't another.
I'm organising Illy's first "Race to the Centre of the Universe".
I'm asking everyone to get scouts to square 0 -2 (because they can't scout to 0 0) as close to 8pm next Sunday night as possible - just about everyone should be able to get to within a minute so I want to find out timing to seconds/ hundredths of seconds.

1) - can you display the scouts on the game board for this race?
2) - how can I download the times - if I forward a system message it leaves off the time, so if people forward me system messages I can't tell what time they arrived and anyway I'll have far too many to deal with
3) - is there a way that you can ensure "safe passage" (ie prevent hostile action against diplomatic units) for the duration of the race?

As you know, Illy is a very different type of game from other games, due to the nature of the players who treat it as a combination of role play and a chat community.  The "Race" pulls many more people into the chat community, which is what really makes a difference to those taking part in Illy (read General Chat for the people who've left WoW, Ebony, etc).  

Hope you can help

Hugie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic