Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cities Next to Tounament Squares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Cities moved directly next to Tourney Squares, fair target or not?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [37.25%]
3 [5.88%]
5 [9.80%]
1 [1.96%]
1 [1.96%]
1 [1.96%]
8 [15.69%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [25.49%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 13:44
Question - are the tournament tiles permanently placed ?

If so, I can see that the area around them is gonna get awfully crowded.

If not, then could I suggest that the exact location of any future tournament tiles remains undisclosed until shortly before the start (perhaps a few hours or a day ?)

Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 14:26
As it stands at the moment they are fixed in the approx center of each region so you are right in that there is a high chance of those areas becoming very popular  especially if more people decide to run tournaments.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 14:38
This has to be the one of the most useless discussions in the forum. One tournament in 2 years and suddenly city placement is an issue? Until tournaments become a regular thing you are arguing about nothing. Combining war and tournaments is great in my opinion but unless you are willing to do both you best leave the cities alone. I support anyone declaring war on an alliance if they want to raze cities. You want a tournament advantage you move your cities as well. Because someone had a great idea before you is your problem. Deal with it.
Kaggen is my human half
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 14:47
Originally posted by Arx Arx wrote:

There seems to be a persistent rumour that tournament positions are primarily bought and sold, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. I'd like to see some from anyone who contends that.

If alliances had forged secret meta-game arrangements around tournament squares, I rather doubt they would reveal them just because you personally refuse to acknowledge them without proof.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by Arx Arx wrote:

Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

The reason why this is an issue is that it is impossible for tournamanets in Illyriad to exist outside the scope of the metagame. These tournamanets are not fought solely on the battlefield; they are mostly negotiated through political horse trading alla the metagame.

There seems to be a persistent rumour that tournament positions are primarily bought and sold, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. I'd like to see some from anyone who contends that.
i don't think i'd say "primarily", but there are certainly instances of the metagame influencing control of squares. i can say with certainty that in past tournaments the crow alliances had coordinated somewhat, primarily to prevent collisions but also to inflate a vCrow lead, where possible. it was regarded as common knowledge at one time that vCrow had hired BANE to assist it in a tournament. eCrow benefited greatly in two previous tournaments from the presence of DB players who felt that DB was too small to have the desired impact but still wanted to participate; that influenced the squares eCrow would contend for because the DB players were adamant that they not be attacking other members of the Dominion. i'm not sure how many of these arrangements were intended to be secret, but they're all the metagame working itself out within the tournament. the idea that you can separate the two is probably a fantasy, and i think the point that Jejune and others are making is that if the metagame can't be kept from influencing the tournament, then it's a bit naive to expect that anyone can keep the tournament from influencing the metagame.

Edited by Angrim - 12 Jun 2016 at 15:29
Benedetti View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benedetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 01:55
I was just about to hit some dogs, when i realized that according to many people here that army would suddenly become a valid tournament target... those dogs are close to a tournament square.
Interesting, the potential of a war breaking out over a NPC killing army being mistaken for a scouting army :D

I still think the tournament had best be kept on the tournament squares.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 04:19
Scouting armies are valid tournament targets. Cities are what people are in doubt about. Armies=Tournament, cities=war. Simple logic. I know some of you like to argue and bring up non issues but the principle remains the same.
Kaggen is my human half
Benedetti View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benedetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 15:58
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

Scouting armies are valid tournament targets.

Thats what you say. I happen to know words have been had over the destruction of scouting armies too.

I think: tournament square = tournament. Even simpeler logic.
Everything else opens the door to "eh... those guys are bigger then us, so maybe better not" which ultimately leads to making tournaments interesting for fewer people.
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 16:23
Tournament happens on the tournament squares.

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 17:35
Well, The size issue seems to have been proven false. Just ask VIC and Shark. As to scouting armies, anyone wanting them killed but are too afraid of the fallout just igm me, and I will do it for you.
Kaggen is my human half
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic