Topic ClosedChronicles of Absaroke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chronicles of Absaroke
    Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 20:36
An ancient chest has been found in the Castle Hugie library, which was given to the librarian under “significant” circumstances.

On opening, it is found to be only the depth of a finger. The bottom is unmoveable, although there is possibly some space underneath.

big beaked birdMaggie recognises this immediately. Some ancient texts were kept away from prying eyes in this way. You had to understand the first level, and demonstrate it, before you could reach the second level. To try to dig deeper would be to destroy everything. So apart from the natural tendency of all mages to do what they shouldn’t, we agree to start with what is available on this level.

Inside the chest is a piece of animal skin, rolled but surrounded by a foul-smelling yellow cloud and with a deposit of dull grey powder underneath. And a small, robustly bound notebook.  And - surprisingly, a bright blue feather.

The skin is clearly in some ancient language that we don’t understand, so we turn to the notebook, which begins promisingly. It is a translation of the parchment, written (from what we can determine) little more than 100 years ago (well, from the century of the pink-striped cat). Each phrase from the skin seems to take a whole page of notebook with footnotes, illustrations of how the ancient runes have been constructed and how they should be interpreted, alternatives, and so on, so a parchment only 1 elven foot by 2 elven feet takes the whole notebook to interpret.

"These are the humble notes of Hugor son of Hugh, bard and storyteller to the people who live in Middle Kingdom and Turalia, during the 16th year of King Sigmund XIV the chocolatier, in the century of the pink-striped cat.  My ancestors passed this chest to me, containing the ancient scrolls; that is, they bequeathed me a task which took me right across Illyria, until I found a monastery disguised as a mineshaft in the High Mountains of Elijal, where I found this chest and the ancient parchments.

"I, Hugor, have preserved the original parchment with sulfur and arsenic. I commend to you that you preserve it for future generations, along with my humble notes, and I ask your forgiveness for my shallow understanding. Even as I read the parchment, knowledge of the ancient writing is hard to come by, so I have preserved my small knowledge in this notebook to help the person for whom this box is intended. This is no great treasure for a lord or a king, and yet it is beyond all price. All will become clear.

"I have determined that the parchment artfully packed on this layer is the first; but important parts are missing.  You must find the missing parts before it is too late.

We looked across at the animal skin.  The beginning is shredded by teeth that seem to belong to a beast we no longer know today. I believe the title on this scroll begins with the symbol THORN, the symbol for the definitive article “the”. The sweep of characters suggests a guttural stop, but beyond that, it can’t be seen. Then the text begins, and we turn back to the notebook:

“I speak of a time before times, when many strange creatures roamed the earth. Wise people have pondered this before. Generation after generation makes the same mistake. Cities come and go like the waxing and waning of the moon. Great civilisations come and go, Nations and Alliances and Guilds, as the sun moves through the seasons. Even races have disappeared, and maybe whole races are still to come? Somehow, sentient beings seem to be condemned to repeat the mistakes of yesteryear.

"In the century of the soup dragon, the 4th year of King Harald, Manitoba (a monk of the high mountains) had a vision.”

"You are charged to find this vision, and bring the pieces back together.  By this means you may read the scroll in the second level"

Then the scroll gave a location (indicated in the notebook, not far from Castle Hugie).  It also gave a date - Starting with a Gibbeous Moon in the month of October in the second year of King Sigurd of the Flying Caravans, in the century of the black man.  

The army is in place.  Maggie has drunk of the dream potion and is dreaming.  The scouts are ready to receive her instructions.
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 20:53
Blue featherWhen Maggie awakes, she finds a blue feather next to her head.  Everyone denies placing it there, and it looks as though it is from the same bird as the carving.

Is this a sign that what she has read is true?

Maggie remembers two significant things.  We were to dig immediately underneath where she had laid her head.

Then Maggie remembers the other half of her dream.  She remembers a warrior, wrapped in some sort of brownish cloth, ancient and wizzened with beads and teeth and feathers in his or her hair, with a long face and hooked nose.

A warrior, or a medicine man.

The man spoke to her, and to her surprise she understood, although he spoke in a language that she had never heard before, that may date back to a time before all time.

He (or she) gave clear instructions.  A delivery of a certain item, at a certain time, to a certain place.

Digging immediately underneath where she had laid her head, we find a tiny scrap of what looks a little like a modern map of Illyria, only with writing scrawled across it.  It's partial - perhaps we need to find the other parts and piece them together to read what has been written?The first clue
At this point I must tell you a secret.  The quest to piece together the first message is being followed by Absaroke members.  You can find an army encampment near to Castle Hugie, and it will be there until 20 October.  You can scout it and find the location of this first clue, and the instructions that Maggie heard.  But the time of learning is passing quickly.  We must make the delivery, and learn the next message

Gilthoniel View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 22:57

Medicine Crow 1848 - Apsaroke Nation

Nice story Hugie
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 17:15
That's Him!  Yes I'm sure that's the man in the dream!  Only he was in colour not black and white . . .
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 17:59
may check out your house aint built on an Indian bone yard 
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 08:45
    Well done  Hugie... I am sure ABSA appreciates the amount you do for them.    

Edited by <Squill> - 18 Oct 2011 at 08:46
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 21:11
The race is on! Scouts from all Absa cities raced back to their cities to pass on the message, and be the first to find the next piece of the map!  Panting, those that rode the furthest could barely get their messages out.  
Caravans containing books began to wend their way across the continent towards Lucyville, urged on by their cities desperate to gain the honour.  Creaking and groaning, wheels splitting and horses foaming at the mouth, the journeys are made.

Lucyville is in celebration mode!  The great blue goddess has ordered a feast and has hung bunting and flags from the highest buildings her self (riding a winged dragon).  Mages create magnificent visual and auditory effects with magic, and the noble elf leaders of all of her cities have come to join in the celebrations and welcome the caravans containing that special gift, that one single volume of poetry, that will trigger the dream and reveal the location of the next piece, and the clue to the next search.

Clue 2The vans rolled in over the week following the finding of the clue.  Some had to travel almost right across Illyria.  Weary wagonners could barely keep their eyes open as they found themselves lifted shoulder high, and the customary bowing and scraping was forgotten in the melee.  But in the midst of all of this, the next clue was found.

Then as the celebrations died down and the last of the sprained ankles and torn hocks were set correctly for the journey home, a young scout who had ridden shotgun with his father asked "where to next?"

What an oversight!  The mages had forgotten to ask, and now the first vans would return to their cities with no idea how to take the quest forwards?

There is an army encampment, near a stone circle in Turalia.  The blue goddess has sent her mages with armed guard to this sacred location, to find the next clue.  It is still there - for now (for readers, it leaves on Thursday 20 Oct) 

Edited by Hugie - 24 Oct 2011 at 17:09
Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 22:02
I have a winged dragon???  Why wasn't I told about this?!?

Thanks Hugie!  You're so punk, man!

Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 17:07
Each town wants the honor, each scout the treasured feather.  Galloping across the plains and hills of Turalia, scouting deep into the forest.  In a thicket, behind a wall, we find nefD's scout.  He's young.  He's eager.  His horse is surefooted but no amount of training can prepare him for real danger.  Blending in with the dappled sunlight and shadows, in clothing of autumn colors and paint to hide his skin, Spens leads his horse silently onwards.  Spens brought his sister Sophia with him, and she too moves silently, almost invisible at Hygens' muscular flank.
There is the encampment, there the soldiers going about their business.  This one is to be a secret mission, a task of daring and above all, dangerous.  One false move and Spens could be discovered, and with discovery, ridicule.  Still, reflects Spens gravely, at least he isn't  risking his life (or his sister's) on this quest.

There's the tent with the wise man symbol, just to the North East of the camp.  Neytiri's seer is encamped there - Spens can see his elbow from this angle, the old man is seated in a chair facing towards the centre of the camp.  The treasured fragment of map should be just inside the tent.

Sophia comes to his side.  She has already placed her camouflage cloak into Hygens' saddle bag, and Hygens checks it briefly.  His task is now to wait.
Spens and Sofia briefly touch hands.  He's barely out of training, and she is much younger.  Yet Spens' success depends on her - on her guile and also on her speed.  As arranged, she goes to the North side of the tent, and begins to walk around it, whistling a child's nursery tune, very quietly.  She practiced this all the way to the encampment, and Spens thought there was nothing he hated more than that little tune, but now he hears it with relief.

The whistle covers the slice of his knife, through the back of the mage's tent.
Sophia has now caught the old man's eye.  She's carrying an elven cup, with coconut juice.  She wafts the smell of the drink towards him.  She has to stay out of reach, but distract him and entice him for just long enough.  There are no guards nearby, and soon, Maurice is out of his seat and pacing round the fire as Sophia keeps the fire between her and him.  Maurice stumbles a little; he knows he's supposed to remember something, but he's lost track.

Spens is inside the tent.  A brief look around reveals no trap.  The fragment is there, by the door, pinned up with a bronze broach.  There's a letter with it, written in elven hand that Spens cannot interpret, but he guesses it is the next instruction so he grabs both, being very careful not to damage the tent fabric.  Elves hate waste and damage, and Spens doesn't know how long his luck will hold out.

Clue 3A brief glance out of the doorway reveals Sophia nearly on his side of the fire, and Maurice now on the other side.  Spens claps as agreed, and speeds out through the cut he made and back to Hygens.  He's convinced Hygens is grinning, if a horse could grin, but decides to save it for the trip home.  They can hear Sophia giggling and telling the old mage to check behind him, and the roar as Maurice finds his treasured map is missing from his tent.  On cue, Sophia leaps up onto the horse, and even before she has her cloak around her, the gallop away to safety.  An arrow whistles through the trees behind them, but even in their excitement they know that it was never meant to strike - if an elven archer was serious, they would be in trouble. Spens wins the feather this time - they are so proud!

On the way home, Spens opens up to Hygens and asks what he was laughing at.  Sophia hasn't learnt to communicate with the horse - may never learn - but Spens explains how the conversation is going.
From Hygens' vantage point, he'd seen an elven sureshot - marksman - stiffling a fit of laughter just out of sight behind a nearby tent.  They definitely approved of this tactic - no violence, just distracting the old mage with his best known weakness.
The other scouts will be disappointed that Spens and Nefarian got there first.  Spens hopes against hope that he is the one with the prize, that this isn't a fake to throw a less experienced scout off the trail.
Gilthoniel View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:49
The old elven cup full of coconut juice trick eh . Spens knows our weaknesses only to well  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic