Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing an Alliance
    Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 11:29
hi folks.... 

a lot of new players enter Illyriad and within their first few hours in the world, ask how they can join an alliance, and which would be best to join....

a few tips.... alliances can differ in style and their approach to Illyriad, aggressive or peaceful, territorial or open and happy to share territory (within reason, of course)

it's best not to join the first alliance that comes along, just because you want to be in an alliance, take care and time, find the alliance that suits you best, that will feel right... my own belief is that Illyriad has the best community in gaming, and a good alliance should be like a family, within the community... 

take your time, some people wait 2-3 months before choosing an alliance (remember, you're choosing an alliance, not them choosing you Wink )    check alliance profiles of those chatting in global chat, and on the alliance list...

think about what you want from an alliance... if you want a busy alliance chat, joining a group with 8 members might not be for you, or if you're looking for help with resources and advice, an alliance with 30 members, all with populations under 1000, that help might not be there....

joining a new, or small alliance can be good though, you would be in at the start of what might become a great alliance in the future, and you would be 1 of those helping that allance become great... 1 of the founding fathers... or mothers Smile a small alliance can also be a closer unit, more like a team, stronger bonds between members.... so it's good to think about what you want from an alliance, and what you might want to give back

if an alliance interests you, contact 2 or 3 of their members and ask what it's like being in that alliance... if it still sounds good, then contact the leadership, ask questions, find out about them, what they believe in, if they have any expectations of members, and what the alliance could offer you, if everything you hear makes you think you've found the right alliance, you might have done just that, no guarantee, but you will be much more likely to feel at home if joining such an alliance...

Vanerin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 15:09
Awesome! Thank you SirTwist for writing this. I think it will be very helpful.

New players might also want to consider a training alliance. There is a partial list here: https://sites.google.com/site/theillypedia/newbie-central/training-alliances
(To everyone: If you would like your training listed there, mail Fluffeh)

Thanks again Twist!

~Vanerin
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 20:54
Great post!  I do suggest giving some thought to joining an alliance before moving your first city and/or placing your second one, since some alliances are geographically specialized.  This is not an absolute must, but something to think about when thinking about when to join an alliance.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 21:32
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Great post!  I do suggest giving some thought to joining an alliance before moving your first city and/or placing your second one, since some alliances are geographically specialized.  This is not an absolute must, but something to think about when thinking about when to join an alliance.

I agree.  Exodus is a harsh mistress and continuing to develop your first city for a bit longer before settling #2 will help you build that 2nd city faster anyway.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Ashtar View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 10:59
I would encourage the new players to read the alliance profile pages as well. Most if not all of the questions regarding the alliance and its policies can be found there. Those players interested in the historical aspect of Illy can glean lots of information and dynamics that way. 
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. -
     Buddha
Gnorfum View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 12:20
According to my experience it is (not even for "very smart" players) impossible to learn all important aspects of the game without help. Joining a traning alliance is recomendable! The link postet by Vanerin offers alternatives to my suggestion: TOR-U

Edited by Gnorfum - 18 Dec 2012 at 12:21
Learn how to play Illy and live in freedome: TOR-U
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 09:34
training alliances would certainly fast-track someone, both with resources and knowledge.... but joining a normal, regular alliance, big or small, has aspects which a lot of people would enjoy.... 

it can be more challenging, it has more of a permanent feel to it, knowing that you can settle into that alliance and stay there, learning the game in a training alliance would be great of course, from veterans who have gained a lot of experience over time.... on the other hand, an alliance that learns the game together, top rank to new members, that can form a special bond that can't be replicated in any other way...

as I said initially, it all depends on what a player wants from an alliance, and what they want to contribute

like a lot of things in Illyriad, joining an alliance should involve a little, or a lot, of research.... and not all research in the game is done through the library and research tree Wink

Snowflake 10K View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:24
Training alliances i don't see much point, You can also learn in normal alliances with vets also, as i have. and with normal alliances saying you will get a promotion or something when you take there training alliance well you dont know how you will react to the normal alliance do you like the leaders? people are nice? you have support? these thing you wont fully know till you get there. 
I just dont see it fully, unless you have no idea about the game and a little slow maybe ;)
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 14:54
Originally posted by Snowflake 10K Snowflake 10K wrote:

Training alliances i don't see much point, You can also learn in normal alliances with vets also, as i have. and with normal alliances saying you will get a promotion or something when you take there training alliance well you dont know how you will react to the normal alliance do you like the leaders? people are nice? you have support? these thing you wont fully know till you get there. 
I just dont see it fully, unless you have no idea about the game and a little slow maybe ;)

A training alliance is the next step in being able to grow with vastly reduced possibility of being in a war and being attacked before you are ready.

Most training alliances are scrupulous about being neutral and having naps with as many alliances as possible so their members are safe to learn and grow.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Vanerin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 15:20
For sure a training alliance is not for everyone. But in my opinion new players should at least be aware of the option.

~Vanerin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic