Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCalculator city pop, food, gold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calculator city pop, food, gold
    Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 12:17

Hi all,

i hope this following topic will help u.
a bit long, but it could be useful. (at the end of the message i'll propose you an excel table that you can change as you want by mail) :D

it's about why a small city can have more army than a bigger one.
and how to predict your future gold income and not doing mistakes.

my aim was to know what would be the best population for a city, knowing the final max production of food, and wanting to have the more production of gold/h, without having a negative final production of food.

Here the equation:

Y = 4X(( Max food/h - Final food/h - X)/Basic food/h) - Sovereignty unkeep

Y = gold production hourly after changing extra food production in gold production by changing taxe rate

X = population of the city

Basic food/h = the food your farms produce without the bonus

Max food/h = your total production of food with the bonus with taxation to 25% = Basic food/h + Basic food/h * (flourmil%+season%+perstige%+spell%+sovereignity% +25)/100

Final food/h = the food production that will be effective in the city after u have change all you excedent food production into gold production by increasing taxe rate.

Sovereignty unkeep: here to calculate http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/coming-soon-sovereignty-brace-for-impact_topic765.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
an other useful things:

value of 1 food/h in gold/h = 4X/Basic food/h

Gold/h = 4X*(tax/100)

tax rate = ((Max food/h - Final food/h - X)/Basic food/h)*100
----> this one is useful if u would like to calculate the production of your other ressources. For me tis is a very important thing to know if you want your town to produce many ressources or not. (i added this on the excel table)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

an exemple:

X = ?

Basic food/h = 14 000

Max food/h = 14 000 + 14 000*(99%+25%)/100 = 31 360

Final food/h = 500 fo exemple. i want to have 500 food/h to produce livestock etc...

so:

Y= 4X((31360-500-X)/14000)-0

Make a table on calculator or excel!

the max production we have is around 15 500 population . at this population if u let the 500 Food/h for ur production u will have average 69 000 gold/h.

Tip: I saw that always, the perfect population to have the best gold income (without having a negative production of food) was the half of Max food production per hour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well here is what i did on Excel

http://imagik.fr/view-rl/292763

Edit: some adds: http://imagik.fr/view-rl/292890

if u want i can send the changable version by mail (only works if u have a gmail account, to use google calcs - option next to dowload option-)

if u are interested send me an ingame message with ur gmail mail :) , its much more quick by using excel than by using a table on a calculator. u just have to write your parameters and ur calculation is done :D

Any suggestions to upgrade this version are welcome ;)

Edited by Mandarins31 - 05 Sep 2010 at 12:19
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 18:21
Here's a similar calc I made today before I read this thread.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tYLITBcaqz3myzLfX2Nu-2A#gid=0

The calc is free for anyone to use, but please only edit the yellow boxes. I have a back up copy so I will be able to restore it if you guys mess up the formulas but you will prevent other people from using it. If 2 people want to use this at one time it will be tricky, best to copy the spread sheet into a new document to have your own copy.

Anyways the magic numbers are the ones in purple, these numbers tell you the maximum possible gold income you can get from a city and the tax rate and population you need to do this with certain parameters (in yellow boxes which you can change) such as number of farm slots, mill level, season, magic and the desired NET food income you need. (+1000 is pretty normal, it is possible to use large negative values (up to around -15000) but this is very difficult to sustain with caravans.)

Basically, go play, but notice how you can get a larger gold income with a smaller city size very often, unless you want a negative NET food. Also notice the large effect of using 7 farm squares for your city.

- Will add a function to compare sovereignty farmstead efficiency soon.
 - This spread sheet is designed to inform advanced players, as such it is assumed that all your farms are level 20 already. Since you are looking at maximising your gold income you should already have realised that getting lvl 20 farms and flour mill is an important first step. ;)

Edited by Createure - 28 Oct 2010 at 18:24
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:14

Nice job Createure :)

your version is interesting because we have less calculations to do. and people just have to download on excel format to be able to change things :)

The only thing, like you said, is that it gets the true results only if you have lvl 20 farms and mill. then people are not able to see gold income at an earlier stage than finished city.
But anyway good reclalculation and good work for this calc sheet that is easier to use :)

Mandarins31

Edit ps:  oh and like i said, the best gold income without having a negative food production is exactly half the production of food u have at tax=0%

for exemple: u have 5 farms lvl 20 and mill lvl 20 (+40% bonus) and 25% bonus from 0% tax  (no spell bonus, no season, no prestige, no sov bonus)

the best pop for the best gold income will be (10 000 + 10 000*65/100) /2

= 8 250 pop.

with 7 farms and the same bonus its 11 550.

and u must know that the farest u are u are from this ideal population, the fastest u will lose ur gold income. if  11 550 is ideal  then at 9000 or 13000 u will have average the same gold income, but after u could lose many gold income each 1k population u take.

Edited by Mandarins31 - 29 Oct 2010 at 12:47
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:56
good points. Maybe I will make a slightly altered spread sheet in another tab to incorporate less than level 20 farms (I have a function for less than lvl 20 flour mill on the sheet already). My logic though is that really the kind of tactics this sheet implies (reducing city population to increase gold production) is pretty end-game tactics and generally applies best to players who will already have almost all their resource squares up to level 20.

Another important point an alliance mate pointed out to me is that you can atually easily run a city on large negative food production without much penalty. You just need to ship some food over from another city whenever you want to fill your production ques. In this case you can just maximise the population in your city and set taxes to 100% because you don't need to worry much about NET FOOD production when you are maximising gold production.

Edited by Createure - 29 Oct 2010 at 12:57
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 13:33

You are right. This calculation only applies if you want your city to be totally self sufficient.

Like you said, have 0 food and still a negative production doesnt give you more penalties than stopping the production. If i remember (but im not sure) at 0 food and negative production, the gold production is stopped too. if im right u will need an other city to give food and gold if u want to handle a good army in this city.
So anyway if u produdce your gold and your food in this city or if u have a suppoting city, u need to produce the same amount of gold and food. the only difference in the case you are in negative and that u support is that u can handle a bigger army in a single city (what could be interesting tactically).

ps: u will need to produce the same gold and food as for a self sufficient city because u will need to use more production of food in an other city to produce the gold u will need to handle the army what is in your non-self sufficient city.

Edit:  yeah i was sure i already asked this questions. found the topic:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/food-attack-and-defence_topic962_post6798.html?KW=#6798

Edited by Mandarins31 - 29 Oct 2010 at 13:50
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 00:24
arf, im confused. today testing this by myself, now i know that i understood this the wrong way.

so yes, if u run out of food because of a negative production of food, it does nothing more than stopping food prodution.
in these conditions, city is still producing gold and the other ressources.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic