illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle mechanics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sauron View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sauron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 18:40
Originally posted by Lotharblack Lotharblack wrote:

- What will happen if an attacking army with sufficient attack value to kill all defenders meet with a defending army with sufficient defend value to kill all attackers? (The answer "Chuck Norris dies " is considered invalid) 

What happens is a battle report showing 'mutual destructution'. I have only seen it once or twice and that was from a forwarded npc hunting message, its so rare that many players that have played for years have yet to encounter such a battle.
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 19:04
Word Illyriad in its roots has ill.

Love you all Ill-yrians.

Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 20:56
Losses are always proportional, I believe. So if the total defense is 1/3 of the attack points, you will lose 33% of the army. That 33% will be applied to all armies and divisions equally (approximately). There is a PDF somewhere that explains the math behind mixed troop types on attack. I haven't read it in years.

Functionally, almost all attacking armies will be homogenous, due to the way that city specialization works in Illyriad.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by Lotharblack Lotharblack wrote:

What will happen if an attacking army with sufficient attack value to kill all defenders meet with a defending army with sufficient defend value to kill all attackers? (The answer "Chuck Norris dies " is considered invalid)

I've seen several zero survivors victory battles. I think it happens when the difference between total attack and defense score of the rival armies is less than 0,01%. It's quite difficult to make that match but if you try hard, you will succeed:) Since there are a number of factors influencing both attack and defense score, it's next to impossible to make them totally equal and set up 'Attack = Defense' battle. But I presume both sides would just loose.
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 13:27
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

The equation is roughly:

Attack = total attack points * terrain modifier * equipment * commander bonuses
Defense = total defense points vs that attack type * terrain modifier * equipment * commander bonuses * wall bonus

sorry, man, but that's wrong. All bonuses are grouped together into 2 multiplier or modifier: (let's call it) General one and Crafted one. 

Attack = attack score * general modifier * crafted modifier;
Defense = defense score * general modifier * crafted modifier.

General modifier includes terrain bonuses / penalty, commander's division attack/defense skil bonus, biome and pres bonus; GM = 1 + (TB% + DB% + BB% + PB%)/100
Sene View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 13:41
Originally posted by Dabrelis Dabrelis wrote:

But what is the algorythm, if I attack with swords and cavalry?
Say got 1000 attack points in swords, and 1000 in cavalry.

In this case the server calculates attack share of each troop type (in your case it's 50% infantry and 50% cavalry), then calculates defense score against all attacking troop types and takes corresponding shares of each. In your example total def score would consist of 50% infantry def score + 50% cavalry def score.

So if we assume a defending army of 200 units all having say 15 infantry def and 12 cavalry def values, then 

Total Defense score = 200*15*0.5 + 200*12*0.5 = 1500 + 1200 = 2700

Thus, in Illy battle mechanic it's actually possible to make an attack outcome worse by adding more troops. If you are attacking spears with a ranged army and decide to add up equipped elite cavalry commanders in hope of better performance - boy, are you in for a nasty surprise.

Edited by Sene - 01 Jun 2018 at 13:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic