illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attitudes and Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attitudes and Opinions
    Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 17:21
I thought I would open up this thread to encourage people to express their feelings about BL. My opinion is if you want to come live in BL you are more than welcome but you should leave your Elgean attitudes and beliefs in Elgea. If you do not like conflict and provocation, do not move to BL. BL should be like a new wonderful world where people can play without the meddling of people who have nothing to do with conflicts. In other words, if you are not the person, or persons, involved in a certain situation you should stay out of the issue unless invited in. Leave the meddling and advice for Elgea and let BL be a place of fun and discovery.
Kaggen is my human half
Llannedd View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llannedd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 20:44
I've been in BL with my two accounts since shortly after it opened. I haven't found it any different from Elgea, at least so far. Then again, I don't get involved much in arguments or politics, either here or in real life. It will be what it will be, and since it's mostly new players moving to BL they have already been indoctrinated by the GC Thought Police.
phoenixfire View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 19:28
BL should be a place where players can do as they wish without all the "police" of elgea meddling in matters that don't concern them just because it "may harm the community". If people want to go to war let them, don't deprive them of having fun just because you dont see illyriad as a military game. Illy is a sandbox, let people play how they want. BL gives people a chance to do that, dont take it away from them.
Veneke View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 21:40
I don't think that the prevailing political dynamic in BL will be decided by grand statements of intention here on the forum. I reckon it'll be decided through how the various BL alliances conduct themselves in relation to each other and in relation to Elgean alliances on a continuing basis. Whether that entails any difference to how Elgea does it business remains to be seen.

Saying that, I do agree in principle - BL should offer an alternative political dynamic to Elgea. I'm not sure I quite agree with your conclusion that alliances should have their freedom of action restricted on account of that alternative dynamic, but there's no doubt in my mind that a different approach to things in BL would be a good move.

Edited by Veneke - 15 Mar 2015 at 21:41
"May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 22:49
Things in BL are different but I doubt they'll be very different as the cities settle and alliances grow up. This game attracts certain types and that's just the way it is. 

I will say, however, that BL does have a freer feel to it. I suppose it could be compared to the land rush of the mid nineteenth century in the mid west of America, only it's a simulation. Eventually the law showed up, it just took a generation.
Bonfyr Verboo
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 12:41
I think that Bl will be a bit different to Elgea. there are less people restricting you, you can spread out and claim what you want without contest (mostly) and people don't get in the way as much. 
Personally, i moved to BL so that i could have more access to resources for crafting, without it being laid claim to by other people, or without having to share so much. Around where i am there are plenty of mineral and herb spots where i can do this.
I don't intend to get in any wars or openly provoke people, im quite nice :D but i do think that if other people do want to play militarily or in a different way, Bl is the perfect place to try it ouy.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 21:30
This is a great discussion topic for the thread. Thanks, Grag.

I agree with what BV said here:

Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

This game attracts certain types and that's just the way it is.

This game is made up of personalities, and although the distances between Elgean alliances and the BL places some external barriers against Elgea meddling in the Broken Lands (i.e., I think a large-scale, long-distance military incursion into BL from Elgea would be difficult), in the end, a similar representation of personalities will control the hegemony of BL that control Elgea. 

I do think, however, that some of us wish that a more laissez faire, hands-off type player would set the tone for BL. For now that has been the case -- the SIN/RE was a good example of a mano e mano war without pig-piling, posturing, grandstanding, etc. It'd be nice to see more conflicts in the BL dealt with that way and not with a lot of over-complicating of things.

Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:34
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

I do think, however, that some of us wish that a more laissez faire, hands-off type player would set the tone for BL. For now that has been the case...
i suggest that this is a function of population density. one sees the same phenomenon irl, where all manner of things occur in the hinterland that would never be tolerated in the cities. on a brighter note, the geography of BL is such that it will never support the density of Elgea.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 18:15
I disagree. The Broken Lands seem to have far fewer stretches of 7 food plains. These areas are already filling in, even down in areas like Chulbran. It will only be a matter of time before alliances bump up against each other down there during expansions.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 02:25
They already have.
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic