Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
[ZF]GeoffGoB View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alliance Options
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 22:27
Came up with a  few thoughts for Alliance management

Military Summary Page that shows all members and their forces (using your expansion arrows to drill down). This would save a round robin of e-mails requesting info.

Diplomatic Summary Page, as above but for ...well Diplomats.

Field Marshall - Instead of the account sitting option have the ability to designate a member your alliance as a field marshall  and transfer control of one or more of your armies to him. This would allow easier co-ordination of troop movements for campaigns.

Rally Points - Set a rally point for armies to arrive and await further orders, this is better than the "occupy function". Possible option to the rally point would be to be able to set an arrival time, so tell your army to be at XX YY at 09.00 on Tuesday and await instructions. This eliminates trying to co-ordinate the travel times for each unit moving to the point.

Loving the game
Duke Felirae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 22:36
Thumbs Up
His Grace the Duke of Felirae
CranK View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 22:41
I like it :)

Only thing about the rally points is that it would eliminate well coordinated military movements within the alliance by own hand. It makes things a bit TOO easy I think.
Duke Felirae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 22:46
Well at the least the summary pages. Smile
His Grace the Duke of Felirae
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 23:03
It does make it easier, however from a realism point of view if your alliance is going to war you should be fairly advanced, that means messengers, high lvl mage towers, in short all the tools to co-ordinate an attack. I believe this skill reflects that, after all you could make it a high end Military Research option so that it doesn't get spammed by everyone and each army must have access to theresearched skill not just your alliance Field Marshall
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 23:05
The summary ideas are already covered (in the admittedly vague) item on the Current Dev list:

ALLIANCE PLAYER ACTIVITY REPORTS
  • Allowing Alliances to pool and share member histories

This actually means "current" things as well as "history" and so would include all inbound and outbound attacks (except those under Covert Ops/Stealth, which is the point of those currently slightly pointless skills), as well as historic data (such as scout and spy reports - so you could eg click on a town and see what your last alliance-wide information about that town actually was).

The "Rally point" ideas might be on the hidden, top-secret, ultra-hushhush dev list Tongue already; but would be *highly* unlikely to automate troop movement functions.  We frown massively on automation of ingame "action" functions.

Having said that, I'm always pleased when players suggest things that are already on the lists; shows we're thinking in the right directions!

Best,

SC

New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 23:20
SC,

not sure I agree with your interpretation of "automation" which we can all agree is evil, however as you are a GM I'll concede the moral high ground Big smile

Nope I'm gonna bang on about it some more  Evil Smile      I still think its not a true automation just a "goal seek function", I need my troops to be there on Tuesday but (and I know this may seem like blasphemy) I may not for some very valid and totally unavoidable reason be online at the time that I need to send them so I set an arrival time and they tootle off at the required time.

Oh alright its an automation, still think its a useful tool to have. After all its not unreasonable for messengers to deliver orders to armies saying "be here on Tuesday at 9 sharp". 

You glossed over the Field Marshall option or is that mucho secreto as well Cool

Edited by [ZF]GeoffGoB - 08 Jun 2010 at 23:22
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 02:23
"legal" automation may not be evil, but it relegates what could be the domain of player skill instead to be nothing more than notches on the RPG-stats ladder.  That's not exactly aspiring to greatness, either as a game or as participants in it.  Consider the MMO Guild Wars:  I played it almost from the beginning, and though characters maxed out at level 20 and top equipment and level were attainable in just a few months, I never stopped improving and developing my talent as a player over the 3-4 years I played it.  When I finally peaked at the top of my craft, I also tired of the game and stopped playing.  But the game lasted as long as it did because there was so much room for growth and development not in numeric stats/achievements to attain, but in skill at assembling the base components available into effective and unique party strategy and player/inter-player tactics.

And, in anticipation of the inevitable debate over convenience and scheduling constraints:  time management is very much a player skill, along with effective/accurate planning and efficient mapping of schedules (and use of account sitting).  This includes things like quick thinking to correct for missed launch deadlines, turnaround time from idea to execution, and accuracy of coordinated activities across multiple locations, party speeds, players, and even time zones--all of which goes away if the player is not always required to be front-and-center at the wheel.

Every feature that goes "in-game" becomes a standardized baseline you now share in common with everyone else...one less thing that was capable of distinguishing you apart from your peers and competitors.  Everything not incorporated into the game becomes a factor more substantially influenced by your intellect, choices, and the methods or organizational patterns you develop or use (thinking specifically of time management and the use of alarms, spreadsheets, travel time calculators or even just regular calculators, calendaring systems and 3rd party organizational tools, etc.)--all of which inject lots of variety into the game and how people play it.  "People" is very much the keyword here, and the more you can depend on delegation of tasks, the less your own ability to accomplish tasks counts.  Even leadership skills don't count for much if what you are leading are in-game elements that never make mistakes, disobey, or have an independent thought.

--

I feel less strongly about in-game methods of sharing census data, as here a baseline is helpful for many but not going to replace more talented information management.  Ultimately alliances will find mere current troop numbers quite inadequate and need more powerful data management (historic records and timelines, metadata that classifies armies or players, or support for other unique organizational patterns and methods).  So communication and information-sharing tools (or at least manual processes) will be developed anyway and organizational variety will thrive.

Edited by HonoredMule - 09 Jun 2010 at 02:31
col0005 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 05:42
I agree with not having the automatic troop movement but if there was some option where you could give a command to troops that high ranking alliance members could activate, that would be useful and slove the problem of needing to be online. (its always midnight somewhere)
Or perhaps an automated version that doesn't do the work for you.

How about an option where you can give a command to tell your army when to leave rather than when to arrive. (these orders would be able to be disovered by advanced spies or scouts)
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 07:06
HonoreMule,

your points are valid but reality bites in the sense of timezones, peoples availability. In my view that's not a skill you can develop, that's life and what it allows you, I don't want to be excluded from helping my clan because my job or timezone prevents it. I don't want a button that says go off an attack when you are ready or caravans go off and find your own resources, that's my job to do and where I get my in game satisfaction from.

These suggestions in my view are designed to help the alliance function, not benefit individual players. Anyhoo the Dev's have their ideas and will no doubt continue to make this game even better than it is now.

Thanks for your input, its nice to get a well constructed response instead of the usual flaming you get on other forums.

Edited by [ZF]GeoffGoB - 09 Jun 2010 at 08:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic