illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Account Sitters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Arctic55 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arctic55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Account Sitters
    Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 06:36
I am hearing more and more about the problem of perma sitting. So I have a solution. Note: This solution is not gurantied to fix 100% of the perma sitting problems.

I think that if the account you are sitting is not logged into by the owner in 31 days, your sitting ability is removed and the 90 day countdown is started for that account. Therefore, after 121 days, including the sitting days, the account is deleted like normal unless they meet the normal restrictions and exceptions.

Please comment below what you think about why or why not this should be implemented.

Edited by Arctic55 - 27 Nov 2013 at 06:52
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ES2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 07:42
Originally posted by Arctic55 Arctic55 wrote:

I am hearing more and more about the problem of perma sitting. So I have a solution. Note: This solution is not gurantied to fix 100% of the perma sitting problems.

I think that if the account you are sitting is not logged into by the owner in 31 days, your sitting ability is removed and the 90 day countdown is started for that account. Therefore, after 121 days, including the sitting days, the account is deleted like normal unless they meet the normal restrictions and exceptions.

Please comment below what you think about why or why not this should be implemented.

I would rather have something like this implemented than to carry on with the current sitting options. The ability to permanently sit an account is a bypass from the multiple account rule, and is unfair to players that do not sit other accounts.

arnesson View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arnesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 19:40
I agree.  Even that is too long really!  But perma-sitting MUST be eliminated!
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkwords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 19:49
I agree in a way and I am a perma sitter, the issue is that some long term players here have professions that mean they sometimes have to stay long term in places with little or no internet connection, but really I think a month or 2 of an actual player not logging in is probably enough to have the account closed.
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 02:05
As far as I understand, the purpose of account sitting is mainly for people who know (or sometimes don't know--e.g. some extended emergency) that they will be gone for an extended period of time not to be deleted or sieged for inactivity.

I think that is a good purpose and I have used it myself. Maybe put a time limit on it--1 year or 6 months perhaps. I know from experience that if it was less than 6 months it would mess up a lot of people, it really is possible not to have the ability to log on for half a year. If the real person does log on, the time limit could reset.

Besides cities never going away and clogging up the map, the main problem is people using accounts sittees for themselves. This could be mostly solved if account sitters had less powers. Right now account sitters can:

1. start new production queues
2. build new troops
3. settle new towns
4. send out caravans full of gold to themselves...

None of these things are needed if you are just trying to keep an account un-deleted and un-sieged while someone is gone for 6 months. I can understand reading emails to make sure there are no problems, perhaps having a building queue in the towns that do exist to make them look semi active. But if most other abilities such as the 4 above were not allowed to sitters, there would be not be many ways open to abuse.
A line has to be drawn obviously, but right now sitters are allowed to do almost everything including settling new towns, which seems rediculous to me.

More restricted sitter abilities would presumably be open to some abuse still, but combining it with a long but not-forever time limit such as 6 months would solve every problem I can think of.
Myr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 03:13
If you can't start production ques or troop ques you take away a couple of reasons that people ask for a sitter while they're away. A sitter sometimes has to move resources around between cities to keep things from de-leveling which can't be done if a sitter can't ship things. I think limiting sitter actions further is a bad idea. 

Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 04:03
As I have said in many other permasitter threads:

If you remove or cripple the sitter function, it will only encourage players to give their login and password to other players. That's a security problem. The security risk outweighs the in-game problems caused by permasitters.
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 05:08
I dont understand the continued thread after thread about sitting. The devs had said they will deal with perceived issues when they get to it, not because we keep banging on about it. In any case, the community can sort sitting issues out just as quickly as the devs can. No-one is being forced to sit an account, so if you don't agree with sitting, then simply stop. There's no unfair advantages from one group of player(s) to the next, its not an exploit its a game rule.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 05:31
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

I dont understand the continued thread after thread about sitting.
it's true nothing will come of continued threads on the subject, but it continues to be brought up because dev action on it could shift the balance of power in the game from a (relatively) few well established players/alliances to something more closely proportional to the number of players playing.  think about how the top 10 alliances might look if all sat accounts were eliminated.  is it so difficult to understand why it keeps coming up?
Binky the Berserker View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Binky the Berserker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 13:27
I don't see any problems in perma sitting. There's still a limit on the number of accounts (6 instead of 2) and it is available for everyone. It's not unfair, because everybody can use it and sat accounts are nowhere as good as the standard accounts a player can have. I don't even think it's possible to play 6 accounts unless one would stop sleeping and working.
I really don't understand the problems people have with permasitters. Is it because you don't have them you feel others shouldn't? Turn that around and just start sitting a quitter to make things equal again. It's part of the rules one can sit 4 accounts, and those rules are the same for everyone so please stop saying it's bad for ballance in the game.
The fact that you don't know what players has which accounts is still there when you delete all permasat accounts. It just gets a bit easier to determine where the accounts belong. Simplifying the game doesn't improve it imo. Au contraire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic