illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbandoned Mine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Machete View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abandoned Mine?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 00:51
When is a mine considered abandoned by the previous owner?

I notice a mine with no occupying army.  Hmmm..maybe they just didn't get troops back to it yet.

Perhaps a week goes by and still no occupying army. So I send an occupying army and start harvesting.

At least another week goes by and then I get an IGM...the sender says "You are on my mine and I want it back, please".

So, when is a mine abandoned by the previous owner?
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 01:00
Why be nice?

A few weeks ago I had a fantastic mine yield stripped away from me in moments, now I have to buy iceheart off the market, until i can find another mine with a weaker player holding it. 

Nice guys finish last
Eternal Fire
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 01:23
I would say if there's no army, and it's not on a sov square, then it belongs to no one. There's room for argument if it's within 5 squares or so of the player claiming to "own" it, even if it isn't sov. Maybe 10 squares if that player is in a big alliance with nasty catapults and stuff.

Edited by Llyr - 24 Jan 2013 at 01:24

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 01:24
The issue of "ownership" of rare resources is a difficult one.  On the one hand, this is a game, and perhaps in some instances someone is ill or loses an internet connection or whatever and cannot replace an army in a timely manner.  On the other hand, how is that fair to everyone who might want to use those resources.

Personally I think that resources belong to everyone who plays Illyriad.  Part of the fun is competing to see who can control what resource -- and what they do with them.  And yet at the same time rare resources are only a small part of the game, and competition over this small part can get extremely tiresome.

I would suggest trying to find a solution that benefits both parties if at all possible.  Be creative.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 01:30
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The issue of "ownership" of rare resources is a difficult one.  

Personally I think that resources belong to everyone who plays Illyriad.  

Part of the fun is competing to see who can control what resource

.... Seriously you say resources belong to everyone, and then you contradict it right after except you use the world control....

Simple if you can harvest it then your fine.  Be it because you guys happen to be  in dif time zones and never notice each other.  Or you park your troops on it so no one can bump you.  

Who cares.... well unless it escalates into war... but then thats fun to.
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 02:43
Some players purposely build towns near a mine to lay claim to it. If they don't place an army on it that doesn't negate the fact it's within their 5x5.
If its within the 5x5 of a town I wouldn't send occupying troops, that is considered an aggressive move in some alliances. Try sending your miners in, if you're constantly bumped start looking elsewhere for a mine.
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 03:03
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

Some players purposely build towns near a mine to lay claim to it. If they don't place an army on it that doesn't negate the fact it's within their 5x5.
If its within the 5x5 of a town I wouldn't send occupying troops, that is considered an aggressive move in some alliances. Try sending your miners in, if you're constantly bumped start looking elsewhere for a mine.

If all you had to do to claim a crafting component commodity was settle a city next to it, you'd see people doing it, which we are seeing anyway.

At the end of the day the military might makes right.

What is prohibiting Machete from keeping forces on the abandoned mine? The possibility that the people that have a trade agreement will bring in allies with superior military forces. At the end of the digital illyriad™ day you have to ask yourself "Do I really need this crafting component to craft a few near useless craft-able items anyway when I could just buy it off some person who doesn't know the value of it, or when you could just take over from a weaker player who has weak allies".

Eternal Fire
Machete View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 03:33
4x2 away from them.

Its really the inactivity that sticks in my throat. Since this time I needed to play nice, I gave it up.

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 03:55
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The issue of "ownership" of rare resources is a difficult one.  

Personally I think that resources belong to everyone who plays Illyriad.  

Part of the fun is competing to see who can control what resource

.... Seriously you say resources belong to everyone, and then you contradict it right after except you use the world control....

Simple if you can harvest it then your fine.  Be it because you guys happen to be  in dif time zones and never notice each other.  Or you park your troops on it so no one can bump you.  

Who cares.... well unless it escalates into war... but then thats fun to.

I should have made the distinction more explicit.  

Personally, I would prefer that no one attempt to lay exclusive claim to any resource.  I believe that resources belong to everyone.

However, I recognize that the majority of people do not agree with me on this and find it fun to compete over resources.  Far be it from me to say they should not do this.

I merely suggest that people keep the idea of the most fun for the most people in their minds as they do so.

Magnificence View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 04:28
Might is right. Three words is the charm. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic