illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned Cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Virus View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abandoned Cities
    Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 03:11
I have been told a couple of contradicting things about  abandoned cities.
1. You can siege any that are not affiliated with an alliance.
2. Even though the city does not show an alliance, it is still considered a part of the alliance it used to be in and therefore you need permission from the alliance to siege.

Which is really true?

Follow up: Is there any way to search for abandoned cities quickly w/o searching city by city? Makes me dizzy!

Edited by Virus - 04 Oct 2016 at 03:13
zolvon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 03:58
I believe neither are true,

You can attempt to siege any town that is;

a) with-out 'rainbow protection' and,
b) not in your alliance or
c) town that is not in an alliance confederated or NAP'ed with your alliance.

You may how-ever, upset someone whom is or was affiliated with that town. So it may be wise to inquire with any relevant alliance first.

Abandoned towns can be found here; http://www.digioso.org/dilly_tools/illy_abandoned.pl

kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 05:12
Originally posted by Virus Virus wrote:

I have been told a couple of contradicting things about  abandoned cities.
1. You can siege any that are not affiliated with an alliance.
2. Even though the city does not show an alliance, it is still considered a part of the alliance it used to be in and therefore you need permission from the alliance to siege.

Which is really true?

Follow up: Is there any way to search for abandoned cities quickly w/o searching city by city? Makes me dizzy!

well both of them are true. Some alliances have rules that any player that use to be in there alliance is theirs. and other alliances will say that ones a  abandoned leaves its alliances it is open to everyone. but just to be safe you should ask the past alliance if its ok
Here is a link to find abandoned cities quickly http://www.digioso.com/dilly_tools/illy_abandoned.pl
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 08:00
This is a discussion that has been going on for ages. The bottom line is you can do what you want. There are consequences for actions but with the exception of a few alliances you are safe sieging anything if you can back up your actions.
Kaggen is my human half
Virus View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 09:27
Of the alliances I have contacted about former members, I have received zero permissions. Their were good reasons, plausible at least. I guess the bottom line is no alliance wants to give up a city former or present. Since I do not want to ruffle feathers i will continue to ask until someone makes a mistake and says yes. ha
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 17:27
Publish a list of those cities. Many players would probably go raze them just for fun and to see what those alliances would actually do.
Kaggen is my human half
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 20:10
I think most alliances are interested in excellent locations, rather than the cities themselves.

Have you tried the opposite? Just ask a few big alliances if they have cities that they are willing to give to you. Many have a few old cities in odd locations that they would give to a friendly player. Quite possibly some would give permission on the condition that you exodus the city out of their area, so as to not clutter up their alliance map.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 22:07
Generally, you attack who you want. If you can't do it, the game will tell you or will not let you. A rainbow limits you in many ways, etc. 

Will alliances get mad? Maybe, maybe not. That's the part that the players determine, so I want to make sure that "allowed" does not get used a lot... the only things not allowed are:

1) things that break rules
2) gameplay things that the game does not allow you to do which will stop you anyway

Best thing to do is to ask GC if you are not sure, and experiment and do what you want. Don't attack the devs though...... they.... they are scared easily. 

GMR

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 22:16
Originally posted by Virus Virus wrote:

Of the alliances I have contacted about former members, I have received zero permissions. Their were good reasons, plausible at least. I guess the bottom line is no alliance wants to give up a city former or present. Since I do not want to ruffle feathers i will continue to ask until someone makes a mistake and says yes. ha
i recommend ruffling feathers. alliances that have plans for the property will take pains to keep their ticker on it or see that a siege force is already otw. in BL, you may want to check existing land claims. anything beyond that is asking for a great deal of consideration, or even prescience. some alliances are adept at using intimidation instead of communication to fend off new players, and some others assert "rights" to the cities of players who've left the alliance and then quit the game, even under poor terms. the community ought not to reward such practices, imo, and i believe your forbearance encourages them.

Edited by Angrim - 04 Oct 2016 at 22:17
Virus View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 02:33
I have asked the larger alliances actually. I was told by one that such cities are recycled internally. Another told me to contact my alliance as they have lists of those cities (which I have and none available worth having). Another one was helpful actually and gave me info on a city of reasonable size (8,000+) which i appreciated. I was told by another that I would find that most alliances want to keep their cities in the alliance. Have not heard from others yet.
As far as being fore-bearing  in these situations, I am in no position to be anything else. If I went on my own and siege what I want I risk the wrath of the alliance or at the least put my alliance leaders in an awkward position. Neither prospect is desirable to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic