Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3 Months and 12 days in Summary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 21:43
Just wanted to say PATHFINDING!

and btw, patience is what Illy is all about.
Bonfyr Verboo
LadyLuvs View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 13:53
Blah one more place to go to find info?  I thought that is what this forum was for.  Now it has branched out to blogs?  Post it here so we don't have to go there to read it.
LadyLuvs
Raven, Murder of Crows Alliance
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 14:28
There's probably a bit of pathfinding to do in the roadmap. I'm sure it's All Under Control

Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:28
Thanks for the reply Luna.

Personally I'm happy to wait and be patient for good, polished content when it comes - whatever it may be.

But I am happy you are mentioning about the dev blog. Imo that thing should get more regular useage... I guess my main point from the OP was that even though we all know that the dev team is working hard - it has just undeniably seemed very quiet from the player perspective over the last ~3 months. If we had some regular dev blog stuff to muse on even then it would  certainly help to keep us all a little more enthusiastic about what might be coming.

Back in the day when Illy was still in it's teething stages it seemed like SC+TC were regularly chatting away in GC giving us all teasers about future content and fixing bugs/glitches in real time which pretty much made everyone feel very 'in the loop'. I can absolutely understand that an approach like that is pretty much unfeasable now that Illy has grown, both in terms of community size, dev team size, the ambitiousness of future stuff etc. (altho we still love to see it when they do hop in and wave their arms around) -  having more regular dev-blog stuff would be cool.

Still I see SC already posted a 'development' tidbit in the last day in the 'development blog' and I've already noticed an increase in chatter and general intrigue about this in AC and GC and elsewhere... guess that already allays much of my 'complaint' if you can call it that. ^^
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 22:36
It's going to be increasingly likely that, as a company gets bigger, it might be looking for external funding, and then have VC or shareholders. Approaching these phases, it is no longer acceptable to share your future plans. Releases have to be very specific, and you don't reveal your IP and R&D to competitors; you go public when it's ready and available to consume as a unique offering that attracts customers. Further, if you make releases about ideas that later fail to emerge, it could be viewed as deception (from an advertising, or even an investment perspective). I hope that provides another perspective for those thirsty for knowledge :o)
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 01:03
Originally posted by LadyLuvs LadyLuvs wrote:

Blah one more place to go to find info?  I thought that is what this forum was for.  Now it has branched out to blogs?  Post it here so we don't have to go there to read it.

I agree with this, I don't see the need for an external blog but if you really have to, post on the forums with the link directly to the thread when you've posted a new blog. 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 01:18
I think it might be effective to have a "from the dev blog" section in the forum.  Maybe this seems like duplicate work and everyone should be interacting at the blog site ... but your dedicated players are already here at the forum and it would be easier for US if the information appeared here as well.
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 02:33
You can get notices to updates to the blog using the xml feed, twitter and other social media. Anything that effects the players directly we post to the forum; related items that we publish on the blog we generally post to the blog but put a link in the forums. We also update the news items on the www.illyriad.co.uk site.
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Originally posted by LadyLuvs LadyLuvs wrote:

I agree with this, I don't see the need for an external blog but if you really have to, post on the forums with the link directly to the thread when you've posted a new blog. 

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I think it might be effective to have a "from the dev blog" section in the forum.  Maybe this seems like duplicate work and everyone should be interacting at the blog site ... but your dedicated players are already here at the forum and it would be easier for US if the information appeared here as well.
Readers of the blog aren't always interested in the type of thing in the forum, and readers of the forum aren't always interested in the content of the blog. For example and excerpt from a blog post:
Originally posted by Ben Adams on the Illyriad Blog Ben Adams on the Illyriad Blog wrote:

It took a while to divine the file format; which we load via XMLHttpRequest into an arraybuffer. The files have 128 bytes of header which we ignore, followed by the 256×4 byte palette which we load into a lookup table texture RGBA. The rest we load into a Luminance texture. Both textures need to use NearestFilter sampling and not use mipmapping to be interpreted sensibly.

We have created our own compressed texture loaders – the colour texture loader looks a little like this:

Illyriad.TextureCompColorLoader = function (path, width, height, uniforms) {
  var texture = new THREE.DataTexture(0, 1, 1, THREE.LuminanceFormat,
                    (new THREE.UVMapping()), THREE.RepeatWrapping, THREE.RepeatWrapping,
                      THREE.NearestFilter, THREE.NearestFilter);

var request = new XMLHttpRequest();
  request.open("GET", path, true);
  request.responseType = "arraybuffer";

// Decode asynchronously
  request.onload = function () {
    if (request.status == 200) {
      var imageDataLength = request.response.byteLength - width * height;
      uniforms.tColorLUT.texture = new THREE.DataTexture(
                                      new Uint8Array(request.response, 128, 256 * 4),
                                      256, 1, THREE.RGBAFormat, (new THREE.UVMapping()),
                                      THREE.ClampToEdgeWrapping, THREE.ClampToEdgeWrapping,
                                      THREE.NearestFilter, THREE.NearestFilter);
      uniforms.tColorLUT.texture.needsUpdate = true;
      texture.image = { data: new Uint8Array(request.response, imageDataLength),
                        width: width, height: height };
      texture.needsUpdate = true;
    }
  }
  request.send();
  return texture;
}

When we first did the decompression in the pixel shader, it was very blocky as we had turned off filtering to read the correct values from the texture. To get around this we had to add our own bilinearSample function to do the blending for us. In this function it uses the diffuse texture with the colour look up table and using the texture size and texture pixel interval samples the surrounding pixels. The other gotcha is that the lookup texture is in BGRA format so the colours need to be swizzeled.
Some players may be interested in this, but not all. Developers who are interested in this may not be interested what's going on in game.

However, all channels we publish to are available to all.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 04:48
Maybe highlight blog posts that relate to game content in the News/Announcements section?  I'm not trying to make more work for you folks, but at the same time in playing Illy I already deal with the game itself, the wiki, the forum, offline multi-player chat (to facilitate semi-private chat with people not in my alliance) and several player blogs.  I'm just saying, give me a break and consider posting things you think might be of interest to players in the forum.  It would be very user-friendly to do so.  You of course are under no obligation to do it, it would just be nice.

And I don't use twitter, facebook or other social media, and I'm not planning to start just to get my Illy news.  I prefer to limit my internet interactions to those I find to be meaningful.
LordBliss View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 05:17
how about an illy youtube channel?

could have actors portray scenes from the factions histories, and then, when it gets to the point of gratuitous nudity (like game of thrones) instead of the nudity, cut to one of you gm's reading illyriad news updates.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic