Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - UIv4 PREVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sirius View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by Alcie Alcie wrote:

Just wanted to mention that my up-to-date version of firefox on a windows pc does not seem to run webGL. It is possible there is some way to make it run (I tried the http://webglreport.com/ link and it didn't tell me how to make it work) but webGL does seem to not be enabled by 'default' at least for me.   When these functions do come to illy, a guide or some helpful links on how to make them work might be useful. Some people playing the game are tech savy, but certainly not all.

update: I tried doing some suggestions such as updating graphics drivers and still no webGL. I just checked and it does work on my google chrome though.. just not firefox.

update to update: I did load the map on google chrome but it is all black background except for a perfect blue stripe which I assume is wrong... turning terrain on or off did not affect it and moving around was slow as molasses. not that there was much to see... Perhaps this only works on fairly recent computers?

I don't know much about all this, but it seems to me that WebGL does not only depend on drivers, browser versions and so on, it also depends on the presence of some hardware in your graphics processing unit. Although I believe those bits of hardware (I won't dare using a name ;) ) have been included in GPUs for years now, I've tried with several (somewhat old) computers before being finally able to see the WebGL map and that happened with a brand new PC.

It doesn't mean that software doesn't play a role, but what I finally understood is that if your GPU is just lacking the hardware, there's nothing to be done. I don't know how far it extends (mobile devices?) and if all the new PCs and mobile stuff have that hardware.

Oh and feel free to tell me I have it all wrong of course ;)
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:37
Quick note about the cases where browsers report that they don't support WebGL, when you'd expect they should...

Some computers have Intel GPUs and discrete graphics GPUs. For these, you might need to enable the browser app to use the discrete board, e.g. for nVidia, this would be in Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings. Only then will (say) Chrome be able to support WebGL.

Edit: I found this out when trying some HTML/WebGL stuff across Android/iPhone/iPad/PC/Mac.

I gave up on Windows Safari (which is long discontinued anyway, but is notable for having the nicest-looking Windows-based rendering with Apple font rendering).

Safari Mac seems to have a way (which I've not verified) - http://onvert.com/guides/enable-webgl-safari/

Edited by Albatross - 23 Feb 2015 at 12:01
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:40
Looks amazing, Congratz to the Devs for such good work

Now hurry up so we can play it!!!!

:D      Evil Smile   
IbnSenna View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IbnSenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 13:56
tested the new interface on

iMac Yosemite 10.10.2, Safari 8.0.3

— didn't squeal, atm

(whereas Yosemite makes a mess, on the whole… according to console and CPU use!)

I'll check later on an iBook Pro, and tell the next tale!
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 14:13
Using Firefox 35.0.1 I get the msg "Alas you currently cannot display WebGL on this browser, try using the most recent version of IE11, Chrome or Firefox"

I updated my Firefox to the latest (35.0.1) and still the same message.  Any suggestions?
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 14:18
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

Using Firefox 35.0.1 I get the msg "Alas you currently cannot display WebGL on this browser, try using the most recent version of IE11, Chrome or Firefox"

I updated my Firefox to the latest (35.0.1) and still the same message.  Any suggestions?
Try updating your graphics card drivers. WebGL is more secure than most 3d technologies to prevent random webpages from doing bad things so the browser black list dodgy video card drivers.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 19:36
Hmmmm....it would appear to me that my 1yr old system with a the ATI HD6530D card should be new enough.  In any case, you probably may not want to tell people that they have to go out and purchase an hardware upgrade as a way to make your software run....that tends to make those of us without big bank accounts very nervous.  Of course, there's always the point that it is "browser" based and thus should not have any problems running within the hardware space that the browser functions with...but that's a very technical argument I will not make here.  I'll check out your theory and if you are right, let you know.  Thanks for the reply.
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 19:56
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

it would appear to me that my 1yr old system with a the ATI HD6530D card should be new enough. 
That should be more than enough, it should work on an integrated intel gfx card. Try updating drivers.

What does this say?  http://webglreport.com/
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 20:04
Cat, that website tells you nothing. Ipad Safari and Chrome both reported WebGL support, and neither could load your site.
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 20:07
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

Cat, that website tells you nothing. Ipad Safari and Chrome both reported WebGL support, and neither could load your site.
Likely to be a bug that we will work out in time then... Still a lot to do; including performance improvements.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic