Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - UIv4 PREVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 00:06
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

Rikoo, this new map seems to have considerable new functionality. It does not seem advantageous to get stuck using legacy mode.

Unfortunately, the new map uses some technologies that might not be available to everyone. Maybe soon? Otherwise, the good news is that Ipads are pretty much the best mobile option. :)

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 00:27
Will it work with Chrome on the iPad? That's what I had been using, but then performance fell steadily over time, so I switched back to Safari. Not sure if that was Chrome or maybe new code releases in Illy. The interactive refresh got bad on things like the sov screen.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 00:41

Will it work with Chrome on the iPad? That's what I had been using, but then performance fell steadily over time, so I switched back to Safari. Not sure if that was Chrome or maybe new code releases in Illy. The interactive refresh got bad on things like the sov screen.

I don't believe it will in the mobile Chrome. The best way is to try. You might see a loading, but will need TC or SC elaborate on the tech.

Just go here and see if it says (second from the top) "This browser supports WebGL" or not: http://webglreport.com/

That will tell you for sure.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 00:43

Rikoo, this new map seems to have considerable new functionality. It does not seem advantageous to get stuck using legacy mode.
Also to add... Apple Safari is really the only browser that doesn't enable WebGL by default.

IE11, Chrome, Firefox - and even tiny browser manufacturers such as Opera - run this technology perfectly well.  Chrome on a Mac runs this just fine, and you might find that Chrome on the iPad does as well if you install it from the iStore.

The sad thing is that Safari does (or at least used to) run WebGL by default, but only when serving iAds.  So their browser can, absolutely, run WebGL (and therefore the new UIv4 world map) but Apple chose to disable it by default to everyone - except when running adverts on their platform, when suddenly Safari leaps into life and runs WebGL just fine.  Read what you will into that.

However, I gather from a brief googling of it that there is some way of enabling WebGL in Safari hidden deep in the Preferences / Developer option settings.  I don't know if that's something that works on the iPad or not; you'd have to check if you want to fiddle around deep in the Safari engine if you trust official Safari workarounds such as this.  (Use at your own peril!)

However, given that Safari doesn't support this open-web technology by default (but everyone else does) - we're not really spending much time testing it on Safari; so I wouldn't guarantee that it works.

Safari really just needs to catch up with the rest of the world, and their default walled garden is (hopefully) increasingly untenable; Safari is now the IE6 of the world, and ire should be directed their way rather than ours.  

As mentioned, the old world map will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but certainly won't give you the depth of view and functionality that the new one does.  

If we had a way of displaying all this data and this functionality in an open-web standard that would work by default on Safari, we would... but we don't.  

SC

Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:05
Just wanted to mention that my up-to-date version of firefox on a windows pc does not seem to run webGL. It is possible there is some way to make it run (I tried the http://webglreport.com/ link and it didn't tell me how to make it work) but webGL does seem to not be enabled by 'default' at least for me.   When these functions do come to illy, a guide or some helpful links on how to make them work might be useful. Some people playing the game are tech savy, but certainly not all.

update: I tried doing some suggestions such as updating graphics drivers and still no webGL. I just checked and it does work on my google chrome though.. just not firefox.

update to update: I did load the map on google chrome but it is all black background except for a perfect blue stripe which I assume is wrong... turning terrain on or off did not affect it and moving around was slow as molasses. not that there was much to see... Perhaps this only works on fairly recent computers?

Edited by Alcie - 23 Feb 2015 at 01:58
Etherea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Etherea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:08
okay LOL as per Rikoo, hehe, the only issue I see so far with it is when you pan in while in line movements it is truly a hypnotic experience. Wow, just wow.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:11
So, I tried it on my Android phablet to see how it would look (I use iPad almost all the time and haven't played on a 'puter in well over a year). It loads but as best as I can tell, it isn't all there. The compass indicator, the one where currently we center the map on the city, is huge, like massive and taking up the bottom half of the page (there's space on either side, but still...). This covers and makes it impossible to toggle Regions, Diplo Visibility, Land and Biome on the Advanced Options menu. Also, there's only the "flag poles" and no flags, and no cities, and no nothing...just blackness. Finally, the menus across the top extend off the page, such that the World and Comms icons are cut off half way.

I will say I very much like the overall look. I like the icons dropping down a bit when chosen and the day and time & etc. view in the bottom left is neat. I sure hope this will be tweaked to work on Android. I plan on purchasing a new tablet in a while (NOT an iPad) and look forward to experiencing the new UI on it.

Edited by abstractdream - 23 Feb 2015 at 01:16
Bonfyr Verboo
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 01:39
Currently there is a difference in the functionality when viewing the map based on whether it's from an active prestige account or not.  Will the new UI continue this and what limits will there be?
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 03:05
From a design/visual front, the orange may be an issue. I'm assuming that all the sov won't remain orange :) BUT... the orange used for the flags on NCPs looked a LOT like the red of the demo'd warring armies flags to me. Might be an issue for folks with color blindness issues? A slightly more yellowy orange might be helpful.
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 09:12
How difficult would it be for every square to check to see if it has a neighbor of the same type of square for every adjacent tile, and then to have those terrains merge (visually) to create a more cohesive looking landscape?  I ask because it looks like the terrain is much smaller in each square it occupies in this preview than it is in the current map.  

Edited by Artefore - 23 Feb 2015 at 09:15
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic