Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - UIv4 PREVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22FEB15 - UIv4 PREVIEW
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:23
WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US, EH?

We've oft stated that we are applying learnings from our work on Age of Ascent to Illyriad. Some things you've seen, some you've not - a lot of have been slightly abstract around infrastructure and capabilities. They have all made the game better and run smoother.

However, today we'd like to share something even more concrete; and hopefully a little more exciting than the existing benefits THAT AoA development has provided to Illyriad, such as progression graphs and private chat (even if TC thinks graphs are exciting).

Please bear in mind this is early days and there is a lot more to come and improvements to be made. We are not yet at an beta stage and taking bug reports, but... 

Illyriad needs a lick of paint...

More interactivity....

Different perspectives, showing where units are travelling to...

A grand strategic view of the whole world...

Where the tactical map, strategic map and regional map are the same thing, and all full screen...

Where coastline and rivers look more realistic, and where the map can be viewed from different rotational angles to better see the lay of the land...

And where moving around the map is fast, and touch enabled, pinch to zoom ready, and where the data is pulled from across the entire world - all visible at once.

Keys to use for map navigation:
  1. Left Click & Drag or touchscreen drag: MOVE MAP CENTER
  2. Q & E: ROTATE MAP
  3. R & F: ADJUST MAP VIEWING ANGLE
  4. W: RESET MAP TO DEFAULT VIEW
  5. Mousewheel or "+" and "-" or touchscreen Pinch: ZOOM IN AND OUT
Some things to note!
  1. This version of the 3D map is not entirely up-to-date, so you shouldn't use it right now for anything other than general exploration!
  2. It's using a technology called WebGL that will not work on all browsers (notably it won't work on Safari)
  3. When we do go fully live with the 3D world map, we will retain the existing 2D world map and a toggle so you can swap between them if you prefer the 2D version

Drum roll please.... 

Illyriad UI v4 presents

[Click above]

See if you can spot your town!

There are a large number of useful tools, highlights and overlays that we have written to interact with this new world map, for example to help with both empire and alliance planning, warfare etc.  However, these tools do require the map to be integrated with the full game in order to be utilised - we just can't show them to you on a generic 'out-of-game' map.  And so integration of this UI into the full game is the next step.

We've come a long way from this:

Thank you for joining us on this journey! 

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Rikoo - 24 Feb 2015 at 14:26
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
ubluntu View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubluntu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:34
/me drools

Can't wait to take it for a real test drive ;)
Etherea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Etherea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:41
WOW just wow, it looks GREAT!!! Any idea how long until it becomes part of the game? Love it!!!
Gul'Dan View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gul'Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 21:42
Nice, needs a bit of improvement, but I can't wait!
Kalculas View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalculas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 22:40
What's it mean when coins and things drop out of the sky and land on the map, and what is the setting that controls that?
Whakomatic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whakomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:03
The UI is a key element of a game so it is awesome to see such interesting ideas applied to Illyriad

Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:08
While it sounds cool, I will be very disappointed that I can no longer play on my iPad, since that is 75% of my Illy time these days.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:10
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

While it sounds cool, I will be very disappointed that I can no longer play on my iPad, since that is 75% of my Illy time these days.

As the post says, if you cannot run this map, there will be a toggle to use the "old" version.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 23:47
Yeah, finally a way to actually see the sov based Fairy Roads on a tactical scale!
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 00:03
Rikoo, this new map seems to have considerable new functionality. It does not seem advantageous to get stuck using legacy mode.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic