Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed14NOV14 - Further exploit permabans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ryklaw View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:29
+1
Thumbs Up
Finishing the Race!
II Tim 4:7,8
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:14
@Tyrande: I don't think there is a valid comparison to permasat accounts. Permasats also create a large amount of additional gold and advanced items that float around the game. If passwords are shared, it's technically a violation of the ToS. But it does not strike me anywhere near as noxious as tricking the game server by sending intentionally erroneous data to an unchecked function call, and then generating 12% of the circulating gold in the entire game.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:11
Originally posted by Tyrande Whisperwinds Tyrande Whisperwinds wrote:

While it's good to see that this exploit was caught and ppl were banned, still can't help myself from thinking that this exploit in particular was treated differently from other exploits in-game (such as permasats accounts per example), because it involved gold (and real money in the end, with the new prestige scrolls).

Well, if you're wondering if we were more inclined to act on something that was literally an exploit/hack and so so so against the rules than acting on something that is allowed through the rules and game mechanics, then yes.

But, if you're implying that we acted because somehow shutting this down gave us some sort of financial benefit, Stormcrow covered that in his post: 

"Some players have suggested that we've acted on this so quickly because Illy corp is worried about losing money via prestige sales.  That's both unfair and illogical.  

Magical Gold arriving out of the air and being spent on prestige scrolls created an artificially high demand for prestige scrolls.  This means that more prestige scrolls were being created and therefore more prestige was bought by players.  So this exploit actually benefits Illy corp (in the short term, before it would have completely trashed the ingame market economy - "Quantitative Easing" can only go so far).

So, closing this exploit has actually shut off an (artificially-created) source of additional revenue for Illy corp.  If we wanted additional cash we'd have let this exploit run, not shut it down!"

Thanks, though.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:10
An interesting read.

What happens in a permaban? People have sent a great many troops to help Nesse and Odd on the ultimate item quest. If defending their cities is now pointless, perhaps we still have time to recall the armies, and go help another player? The quest itself is still worthy.
Tyrande Whisperwinds View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:07
While it's good to see that this exploit was caught and ppl were banned, still can't help myself from thinking that this exploit in particular was treated differently from other exploits in-game (such as permasats accounts per example), because it involved gold (and real money in the end, with the new prestige scrolls).

Maccam View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:07
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

On a personal note, I found Brock's IGM about frauding the game really disgustipating: "they are equal to( 515 GBP) OR( 823 USD) hahahahahahaha" ... Brock converts 15 Prestige Scraps into 1,125 Prestige for his account. 

Yeah, hahahahahaha -- you're a thief. A real-life thief.

Well said.  That gloating was a massive slap in the face for people who have bought prestige, and therefore who fund the game for all to play.
mcdwarf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 20:04
Thanks for the transparency and shutting down those guys.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 19:52
Now I feel exploited because of going for the mystery of Audrey to help ODD and Nesse.. 

But I am thankful that the Devs have the betterment of the game at heart without people exploiting the prestige and the marketing systems.

Thanks Devs.. 
D
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 19:46
Again, amazing work by the devs, and just an incredible thing to read. I still believe that the outside gaming community should know about this story and how the game developers caught the conspirators.

On a personal note, I found Brock's IGM about frauding the game really disgustipating: "they are equal to( 515 GBP) OR( 823 USD) hahahahahahaha" ... Brock converts 15 Prestige Scraps into 1,125 Prestige for his account. 

Yeah, hahahahahaha -- you're a thief. A real-life thief.

jcx View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 19:41
finally. nice read! Great work Devs!
Disclaimer: The above is jcx|orcboy's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of Harmless? [H?] or of the little green men that have been following him all day.

jcx in H? | orcboy in H?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic