Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10JUN11 - Blockade Fix, Patchnotes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10JUN11 - Blockade Fix, Patchnotes

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
GM

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Location: Illyria
Status: Offline
Points: 3243
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10JUN11 - Blockade Fix, Patchnotes
    Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 21:03
10JUN11 - Blockade Fix, Patchnotes

  • Extra HTML Removed
    Some mail subject lines contained HTML from the old UI which has hopefully now all been removed

  • Notifications Order
    Multiple notifications that arrived simultaneously were occasionally being displayed in the wrong order, these have now been put in the correct order.

  • Entering X|Y co-ordinates directly on the Unit Orders pages
    ... was causing some issues on certain browsers.  We''ve temporarily disabled entering co-ordinates directly into these pages whilst we work on a fix.

  • Blockade Patch
    We've just completed patching the "largely broken" Blockade stratagem, and it's now working as intended.

    Below, please find details on how Blockade works.
BLOCKADE
This strategem can only be applied to Enemy or Neutral towns, but definitely not friendlies!

When you target a town to blockade, you take up position outside the town, and hold this position - attempting to intercept incoming and outgoing trade caravans, and divert them to your own city. 

The chance of intercepting a trade caravan is high, but can be reduced by the caravan's owner if they have researched some of the Blockade Running skills in the Trade technology tree and have a high level marketplace.

Bear in mind that your chance to intercept caravans applies to both outbound caravans leaving the blockaded city as well as any inbound caravans when they arrive at the blockaded city - including those from neutral third parties and/or friends.  Alliance friendships and confederations do not apply to caravans in a blockade circumstance, just as they don't in a resource harvesting/bump situation.

Intercepted caravans are severely damaged by the experience - they will head to the town of the intercepting player at a very slow pace, deliver their resources to the town, and then return back to the original owning town.  Once they return to their original owner's town, they are repaired and back under the control of the original owner's town.

In order to take up a Blockade position at an enemy town, you must target the town you wish to Blockade and you will then be prompted to choose an unoccupied square next to the town - which is where your blockade will assemble, as well as how long you wish to blockade for. 

Only one army may occupy a Blockade location at any one time, and in the event of multiple armies blockading the same city, only the first person to set up the blockade will have a chance to intercept the caravans.


A long overdue fix, we hope you like it.

Regards,

SC


Edited by GM Stormcrow - 10 Jun 2011 at 21:05
Back to Top
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster


Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 723
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 22:02
great news...this is gonna be fun
Back to Top
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Avatar

Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Location: uk
Status: Offline
Points: 1191
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 22:55
nice. Thx.

I presume occupying sov squares is the next in line for attention, or is taht one waiting for a more general sov overhaul?
Back to Top
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1650
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 01:12
I'm glad to see blockade getting some love--especially where it is a less committed/more greedy form of hostility that ought to play a bigger role in conflicts and opportunistic behavior alike.  However, some thoughts:

I would have preferred to see blockading have a low but stacking chance of interception based on the number of town-adjacent tiles that could be occupied (i.e. 75%/num tiles per tile).  For example, if there were only 5 such tiles and 2 were occupied, there a caravan would roll a 100-sided die and the first 15% (1-15) means capture by the first blockade,  the next 15% (16-30) means capture by the second blockade, and the remainder (31+) means escape.  A city surrounded by the maximum possible number of blockades would give caravans a 100%-x(75%/x) = 25% chance of escape, assuming no modifiers (caravan research would apply to the base number of 75%, which itself might actually more appropriately start around 90%).
Back to Top
Torn Sky View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 397
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 01:24
Also the occupying force size should be considered a or does a Commander with a T1 spear blockading get the same chance as large 5k-10k army
Back to Top
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Avatar

Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Location: uk
Status: Offline
Points: 1191
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 01:32
@HM:
I know it wouldn't have to be... but in a way your idea almost sounds like a 'path finding' reliant game mechanic. It would add an interesting extra element of strategy to deploying a blockade though.

@SC:
Does blockading effects stack on top of existing seiges or normal occupations? For example if someone sent a seige to a hostile city and their ally was reinforcing their seige, would it be in their interests to set up a blockade on the seige square, or would that result in the same effect as 2 seiges arriving at the same square? [Or do I have to work this out myself through a little... *ahem* 'experimentation'...?]

/me looks around for 'victims'... *ahem*... 'valued participants for scientific trials'...


Edited by Createure - 11 Jun 2011 at 01:34
Back to Top
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Avatar

Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Location: uk
Status: Offline
Points: 1191
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 01:33
@torn: I' say 99% sure that 1 unit has the same chance of interception as a 5,000 strong army... I wouldn't say that was unfair though... an army of 1 unit can be scouted and annihilated in a matter of seconds so I can't see it as a particularly viable approach.
Back to Top
Sgt..Shanks View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Location: BRITAIN
Status: Offline
Points: 56
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 06:32
Sweet SC,
Oh yes! we do like it.. until it happens to us!

Createure..

"In order to take up a Blockade position at an enemy town, you must target the town you wish to Blockade and you will then be prompted to choose an unoccupied square next to the town"

...Would imply that you can not stack on top of siege armies.
Therefore occupying the squares around the target town will be a viable form of defense against blockade, I am assuming.

Have to ask..
if only the first person to set up a blockade can be successful,
would this mean that it bares NO relevance which angle a delivery may be heading to the target city from?



Back to Top
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
GM

Joined: 11 Dec 2009
Location: Everywhere
Status: Offline
Points: 1980
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Does blockading effects stack on top of existing seiges or normal occupations? For example if someone sent a seige to a hostile city and their ally was reinforcing their seige, would it be in their interests to set up a blockade on the seige square, or would that result in the same effect as 2 seiges arriving at the same square? [Or do I have to work this out myself through a little... *ahem* 'experimentation'...?]
Sieges and blockades cannot stack.

If you send a siege or blockade to a square occupied by a hostile siege or blockade it will first attack and the winner will have the camp on the square. 

If you send a siege or blockade to a square occupied by a friendly siege or blockade it will bounce.

Occupying armies can be sent to reinforce the siege or blockade as normal (and won't cause siege or blockade to bounce if sent first).

The main effect of square choice is to determine the defensive ground your siege or blockade will hold.
Back to Top
Aneirin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith
Avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 186
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 00:03
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.07
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.