illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

06NOV18 - New User Interface (UIv4) Alpha Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Marquesta View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marquesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 21:43
I have also grown very dependent on the info shown in the city drop down, hoping all the same information will be shown in the city drop down in the new UI
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...
KarL Aegis View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarL Aegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 03:17
New Biomes! 
Steppe
Mediterranean
Tropical Forest
Fresh Water
Ocean
Shallow Salt Water
Rainforest
Tidal Water
Prairie
Semi-arid Desert
Xeric Shrubland
Tundra
Dead Water
Warpe...
Monsoon Fore...
Arid Desert
Boreal Forest
Taiga
Ice Sheet
Polar...
I am not amused.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 03:39
Originally posted by KarL Aegis KarL Aegis wrote:

New Biomes! 
Steppe
Mediterranean
Tropical Forest
Fresh Water
Ocean
Shallow Salt Water
Rainforest
Tidal Water
Prairie
Semi-arid Desert
Xeric Shrubland
Tundra
Dead Water
Warpe...
Monsoon Fore...
Arid Desert
Boreal Forest
Taiga
Ice Sheet
Polar...

Hey Karl,

These biomes have actually been in place since we introduced biomes!  They're used by the Nature NPCs for spawning/nesting/feeding preferences etc.

For combat purposes etc, we do only still have the jungle/desert/arctic biomes.

Best,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 07 Nov 2018 at 03:49
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 08:05
Holy moley !

What an awesome upgrade. The new Ui - with the icons around the main map area is great. It gives a much bigger viewing area, yet still allows access to the game features. It will take a while to get used to it, but it is, imho, a major improvement - on many levels.

Obviously, as this is an alpha release, there are many bits missing (like audrey) but it looks good so far.

In the UIv3 the drop down town menu shows warning symbols for low resources, incoming hostiles etc. I do not see this in the new UI (I did test this with a city running -ve in a resource type). I'm guessing, (and hoping) this is on the list.

I did find one "glitch" where, after resizing (via F11) to access other tabs, the whole screen was shifted up and the highlighted map square was about 3 squares above the cursor (in both full screen and with tabs showing). 

I logged out and back in - same situation, so I closed the tab and reloaded - problem went away. I have tried to replicate this without success, so it's one of those intermittent faults (sorry). Hopefully it was a one off, possibly due to my poor internet (3g mobile phone network) but it's possible others have also had this.

Anyway, outstanding upgrade, many thanks to all. Clap
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
glumetzul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote glumetzul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:40
I'm gonna give you some honest feedback and I don't think you're gonna like it but here's for the best.

1. I'd say that, if the old UI was stuck 10 years in the p, this is just 3-4 years behind the present. It's not exactly ugly but it's not pretty either. I find it difficult to read some of the texts like the resources quantity at the top. Anyway browser games are well known for having overloaded UI and I was already playing the game with the old interface so obviously this aspect isn't really that important for me.

2. You added some animations like showing/hiding the menu on the left and showing/hiding the towns list. That's cute but I think they're a bit slow. I think they are set at 1000ms and this takes a while. If a user is in a hurry and just wants to click on the name of another town, those 1000ms are a nuisance. Generally I use 300ms in cases like this but it's not my place to call it. I just think they ought to be faster.

3. It doesn't seem to remember my option about what to show and what to hide on the map. I usually keep the terrain hidden and I did it here as well but as soon as I refreshed the page, the terrain was all back.

4. Those 3 panels on the right that I can chose to hide are nice. However if I decide to show only the first and the third then they will be separated by the icon for the second so there is a solid ~80px space between them that I can't really use but it doesn't look good either. I would suggest that the icons for the panels that I keep hidden to stick to the bottom or to the top and let the opened panels just stick to each other. And it would be lovely to be able to increase the height of one of them if I don't have all three visible. The notifications would be great to have always opened but only if I can have it a bit larger.

5. The navigations between cities really sucks. Not only do I have to wait one second before the cities panel is fully shown but now I also have internal scrolling in there. I only have a mere 7 towns, probably 8 soon, but I can't click on my 8th without scrolling there. That alone is a good reason for me to stick to the old interface as long as I can. Also, I use a lot the arrows to navigate between cities. Even now, when there is no animation or scrolling, in 75% of the cases I would just go to each of my cities to give orders and add things to the building queue so I'd use the left / right arrows. I might not be the only one who found thos arrows really really useful.

6. I have a daily routine of checking all squares that are a certain distance from my main town. For that I used a specific map zoom level and those arrows that would scroll the map only a certain number of squares with each click. I cannot do this anymore because there are no more arrows for navigating the map. There is a chance that I can get used to this new map and benefit from having it full width and height so I can do the same routine even if I am stuck with drag & drop. But it would be nice to know I still have my arrow navigation as a backup. Perhaps you could intercept the user keypress and translate the arrows from the keyboard to the old arrow navigation so you don't really have to add new buttons (actually that would be a lot more awesome).

7. I seriously dislike the way you open up old pages in an internal popup. I hope this is just temporary, until you get to redesign all the old pages but that popup design that goes in line with the new UI makes me fear that you consider this to be a permanent solution.

8. While we're at it, is it just me or the building / research queue is missing? I mean, I can see that it's missing from the city map but I don't see some clever pannel hiden somewhere else. I guess this is work in progress since there's no way you would have decided to remove the building queue from a city building game :D

9. I really really hope you plan to release a fully responsive version that would adapt to mobile devices as well. I'm not desperate but it would be cool to check out Illy while on my mobile every once in a while. And there are tons of possibly new users you could get by having it adapted for mobiles and then release a native Android / iOS app that simply acts as a web browser by loading the mobile version of the UI. When I first read about a new responsive UI I was certain that mobile responsiveness was part of the deal, but then I clicked on the town icon and that ugly unresponsive popup showed up and my heart just sank. I still hope you plan this for the near future.

That would be all for now. This is obivously not usable as the main UI at this point, once it will be I plan to switch to it and perhaps I can find more good / bad points.
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 16:43
Wow! This is beautiful! 

Could you also please make the mini-map window on the bottom right resizable? 

Some map features (like the Wolgast swamp) are easily identifiable in a minimap which aids navigation by clicking on it. That is how I remember most cities (east to the swamp is so-and-so guys, beside the lake in the desert is so-and-so tradehub etc)
Herod View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 20:59
        Nice !!
.       New  interface  is  extremely  more  comfortable , enjoyable  and  beautiful ! I  will completely  appreciate  it .
.       I  hope  only , that  some  not  very  far  day  you  will  also  make  more  complicated  also  a  whole  game - in  way  in  which  we  will  have  a  much  more  abilities  at  game  and  at  politics  and all  actions .
.       Great  modernization , thank  you  for  it .
Tucic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 23:00
I am just going over the new UI and most of the buttons and everything seems in order but the Map feature in the bottom right does not seem to be working, buttons and slider. I am a Chrome user and if this has already been addressed forgive me.

I also cannot seem to find my profile page with my BIO, friends lists... etc. I have clicked on my portrait to no avail assuming this would be the way to open the profile section.

Love the map set up in the background but seems like some of the icons are a little too crowded for my taste but that is nothing major to the game mechanics. 

When I open Global chat the most recent message is blocked by my tool bar when I play on browser. I do not know if you are gearing more towards a steam layout over browser but thought you should know if that was not addressed. 

Overall a very nice upgrade and only a few issues. 

Decent work Devs!

Edited by Tucic - 09 Nov 2018 at 23:01
Tucic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 23:06
Forgot the mail button is not working as well. 
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 17:12
Wow, I'm sorry but it's not something I like at all.   I'll get a list together but it's not something I want to use.  
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic